he loves it. so much. he flips through it. he talks about the pictures. he asks me about the words. before i took him to school on monday, he told me i should make another page for it while he was gone. that = awesome. i love that this little book means so much to him.
i had so much fun working with the amy tangerine mini. if you missed the almanac add-on, you can pick up the album at 2peas. i just added another one to my bucket - sam keeps asking for his own "book with colorful papers." totally can't say no to that. ;) i love that this album is ready to go as is, but oh so easy to customize.
i love the transparency on the cover - a totally fun way to play with layers. i added my title and a button to the transparency, and everything else went underneath. i didn't do anything special to stitch the transparency - aside from making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end to make sure it doesn't come loose.
i stitched throughout the album. stitching through something you'll see both sides of presents a BIT of a problem - i dealt with it by a) finding ways to cover it or b) using that to my advantage. i used the stitching along the side of my photo on the cover to hold an envelope in place. i plan to tuck all of the messages sent to matthew and i via fb & twitter while i was at the ER with sam into it. on the first page of the book, i used washi tape to hold a 4x4 instagram photo of sam's x-ray in place & planned the spacing on the title on the page behind it to run directly on top of this one.
one of the prima wood buttons was the perfect size to fit into the back side of the clip - so i used some glossy accents and attached it. my 2x2 photo fit right inside the ormolu day tags. since i had a whole lot to say, i typed my journaling - i'll share how i did this in a bit!
my typewriter leaves quite a bit of an impression on the back of thin papers, so i opted to cover the back of this page completely. i put the entire page together and then stitched across the bottom and top, opting to let that stitching show on both sides. the other side of this spread got covered in the same manner. i removed the green and pink die cut papers that were in between these pages in the album - they weren't working size / color wise with what i needed.
i masked off the stars and misted this paper before adding the other elements. i used my tiny attacher on the journaling spot and photo before adding the patterned paper to the other side, so the backs are hidden. if i remember right, this "thank you" on the reciept paper was turned the other way - i pulled it out and taped it back in place on the white die cut.
on this side, i used the stitching along the washi tape to attach the die cut heart, and then stapled the sentiment to the heart without catching the paper behind it. the graphy paper got more misting + masking + typed journaling. my 2x2 photo covers the typewriter on the original paper, but i kept the gray chevron strip and yellow banner as part of my desk - i layered them with washi tape.
and here's my secret for the typed journaling - i cut the pages out of the book. at that point, you can run it through a typewriter or a printer. i left 1/2-1in of the paper attached and simply stitched it back in place - just remember to leave a bit of a margin to the left of your journaling so you don't have to stitch over the writing! here's a peek at the seam along the reattached page.
i've still got a lot of this story left to tell. at this point, i'm waiting till the cast comes off (one more week!) so that i have solid finishing point. that way i'll have the rest of the story and know exactly what i need to fit into the remaining pages. i'll be sure to share more as i add to this book.
supplies used :
happy thursday! i was hoping to have a project life update for tomorrow - but i don't think that's going to happen. i have a couple of have to dos that need to happen before i finish the want to dos. ;) so look for two new weeks up on monday or tuesday.